Friday, April 11, 2008

Another thing I was wrong about

Texans are polite; they give you the benefit of the doubt. They get your coat and bag from the overhead compartment; they tell you the names of birds, like the white-winged dove, who says “Too wet to plow,” which means it’s a liar, at least most of the time, in dry-as-dust San Jose Mission, with the acequia a rusty trickle and the pockmarked millstone dead still.

Texans are hospitable; they steer you away from the vegetables and towards the rib-eye. Some Texans have a weight problem. Did you know that they also pull over and let you pass if you’re in a hurry? Most people would rather speed up and stay in front, even if they’ve got no place to go.

Texans don’t like littering. They have a slogan: Don’t mess with Texas. When I first heard it, I thought it meant don’t let the queers or the Jews or the uppity women in here, but it really means don’t throw your trash out the car window.

2 comments:

Brenda Morisse said...

Hi Laura, I think that I'm a Texan. Maybe i was kidnapped and left in the Bronx where my mother found me. That must be it. I never throw garbage out the window, and I'm so polite that sometimes my face freezes with kindness. I'm against spreading discouraging words and I love to watch the antelope play. Or is that another state?
love,
brenda

Laura said...

Hi Brenda,

It looks like you're either a Texan or a Kansan (um, is that a word?)

Drat! Now that song's stuck in my head. Help!

Love,
Laura