Friday, March 28, 2008

Is there anything better

than a used bookstore? The chain stores - and frankly, even the independent bookstores - have fairly modest poetry sections. But a used bookstore in a University neighborhood? Yowza. I browsed shelf after glorious shelf, and here's what I brought home:

Repair: Poems by C.K. Williams
The Star-Spangled Banner: Poems by Denise Duhamel
The Black Shawl: Poems by Kathryn Stripling Byer

Perhaps I'll bring all three on the plane. That's right, I'm making my escape, however brief, from this Chicago winter that will not end. I've got a book talk in San Antonio, so for three days, I can walk outside without socks. I'm really excited about it. I'm going to go paint my toenails right now.

3 comments:

SarahJane said...

no, there's nothing better than a used book store in a university neighborhood. studies show.

Laura said...

Ah, I knew I'd be vindicated!

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Hi Laura,
I'm so glad to find this blog--which happened while I was searching to see if my brand new blogspot blog had finally made it onto the web. Thank you for bring Black Shawl home with you. I think I found you earlier today on a site for booklovers. You hadn't liked the book, as a whole, I believe, which is a pretty common reaction for me, too. I'm sorry. I wish you'd liked all of it.
My blog site is www.kathrynstriplingbyer.blogspot.com. And yes, we know about Chicago winters. Both my husband and daughter are alums of the U. of Chicago. My daughter is now in Austin, TX in grad. school. quite a switch.