Thursday, June 28, 2007

Be a String, Water, to my Guitar*

I am a huge fan of classical, jazz and gypsy guitar - Segovia, Sergio and Odair Assad, Django Reinhardt. So I was thrilled to discover the music of Rodrigo y Gabriela. Their self-titled album came out in the U.S. last year. Originally from Mexico, they took their act to Dublin, settled there, and ended up at the top of the Irish charts. Their background is more heavy metal than classical, and some of the pieces on their album are fascinating arrangements of rock classics (e.g. Stairway to Heaven). The pair do such interesting percussive things with the body of the guitar; when I first heard the album, I couldn't believe that the sound was coming only from two guitars. I hope they come to Chicago! That's one act I'd like to see in Grant Park.

*Title of a poem by Mahmoud Darwish, translated by Clarissa Burt

No comments: