Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Warning! Do not try this at home!

If a female friend ever asks you, "What's my best feature?" do not answer! Or rather, tread very, very carefully. Trust me; being female, and having been on both sides of this question before, I can say unequivocally that there is no winning here.

Let me give you a blow-by-blow of the only possible way this can play out:

Scenario 1:
L: Hey guys, I'm doing a style makeover, and I need to get your honest opinion: what's my best feature?
D: That's easy: your figure.
K: Your legs.
L: Hmm. So, what are you saying? I've got a funny face or something?

Tables are turned:
K: What's my best feature?
L: I'd have to say your eyes - your whole face, really.
K: So you're saying I'm fat.

I'm learning:
D: What's my best feature?
L: Hmm. So hard to choose...
D: I think it's my hair.
L: Your hair is fabulous. I was going to say face or legs, but I have to agree with you. Your very best feature is your hair.

We all panic when we're broken down into objectifiable parts like this. I repudiate any and all so-called makeovers that would ask such a question. Better to ask, "What do you like best about yourself?" That's what you should accentuate. That should be the center of any "style makeover." It doesn't even have to be a physical trait. I'd rather wear "wit" and "compassion" than a Max Azria wrap dress any day.

No comments: