Saturday, February 9, 2008

Ainadamar


On Thursday night, S, K and I went to see the opening of Ainadamar at CSO. Wow, what a production. Of course Dawn Upshaw was incredible; she always is. But it was really Kelly O'Connor, in the pants role, who blew me away. She plays the part of Federico Garcia Lorca, and you wouldn't think that would work, but it does. I don't think I've ever heard a woman sing that beautifully in such a low register. And to look at her - this slim, dark-haired, slightly "fey" young woman - you'd never expect such depth and resonance.

Jessica Rivera as Nuria was spectacular, too, as was Jesus Montaya, the arresting officer whose calls of "entreguenlo" from offstage right were absolutely chilling.

And now, thanks to some freakish cold virus that came out of nowhere, I've completely lost my voice. Oh, well, it gives me an excuse to seclude myself for the weekend and do nothing but read and write.

No comments: