Sunday, February 17, 2008

Verloren

This is my favorite German word. It means lost. It feels more lost-like, to me, than lost itself. Maybe this is because it sounds like "forlorn," which makes verloren the felicitous carrier of this other, more targeted meaning. After all, lost can refer both to an existential crisis and a sock, but forlorn has a more limited range of reference. It is dark; wretched and wrenching. Verloren, for an English speaker, gets freighted with multivalence. In actual German usage, though, (naturally), verloren has to make room for socks.

6 comments:

SarahJane said...

like your thoughts on this word. I think "forlorn" does come from "verloren." And if it don't it should. smile

SarahJane said...

hey,
regarding your persona poem, check out the submission guidelines at poemeleon (an ezine). they're doing a special issue of them.
cheers

Laura said...

Hi Sarah,
I just read that they don't accept anything already posted on the web where it's publicly accessible, which I assume includes WPF...
Does that sound right?

SarahJane said...

no, i bet they do. i'll check...

SarahJane said...

It does look like that. Of course you could make the poem inaccessible by editing it off the page, but I would understand if you don't want to. (though i would want to)

Laura said...

Hi Sarah,
This issue is such a problem for me, because I really don't feel ready to submit anything unless it has been workshopped, but so many places won't accept anything that can be found online. Not sure what to do about it, but for now I will probably workshop. I don't know when I'll feel ready to take the plunge and submit something somewhere...
Thanks for checking into this.